How do I collect my DNA sample?Updated 9 months ago
NOTE: Do not eat or drink at least 30 minutes prior to taking your sample.
- After removing all contents from the pouch, open the swab by pulling apart the wrapper at the end that says “Peel Here.” Be careful to only touch the plastic handle (and not the soft tip of the swab) to prevent sample contamination.
- Rub the soft tip of the swab up and down firmly against the inside of your entire cheek 15-20 times (with pressure equivalent to brushing your teeth).
- Rotate the swab tip as you are rubbing.
- Cover your entire cheek from the top to bottom and side to side.
- Unscrew the vial lid and hold steady in one hand. Slowly twist the swab into the vial with a corkscrew motion. There will be resistance, but push the swab to the bottom of the tube.
- Move the swab up and down rapidly inside the tube 10-15 times without moving the swab out of the liquid.
- Remove the swab by slowly twisting out with a corkscrew motion. Discard the swab. Replace the cap on the vial, close tightly, and put the vial in the biohazard bag.
- DO NOT PLACE THE SWAB IN THE BIOHAZARD BAG
- Put the biohazard bag (with the completed vial inside) back in the foam insert inside the box. Peel off the adhesive strip protector on the box lid flap, close the lid, and press firmly on the flap to seal the box closed.
- Place the prepaid box in any USPS mailbox or drop off at any USPS location.
Any questions? Email us at [email protected].
Was this article helpful?